Already 80 years industries partner for drives and controls automation.
Stick slip mitigation – Ztorque
Ztorque is the latest Shell developed torsional vibration mitigation system. Ztorque is a wide band impedance (Z) matching concept, which requires no tuning. The technology is based on transmission line theory with underlying ambition to absorb all torque waves arriving at the top drive. This in contrast to Shell’s ‘classic’ Softtorque Rotary System (STRS) which is focused on absorbing torque waves of the first vibration mode and needs regular (stand by stand) tuning as the well deepens.
ZTorque main properties:
- Wide band ability to absorb torsional vibration modes for most drilling conditions
- No tuning required
The ability of the system to perform across the bandwidth is determined by the system design and hardware available on the rig. The operational performance of such a system can be analysed using control system analysis techniques. The key performance indicator used is called the ‘Hummingbird plot’.
Electroproject unique approach to Ztorque
As part of the development team of Ztorque Electroproject has unique insights in the functionality and backgrounds of Ztorque technology. These insights have led to a unique proposition for the implementation of the Ztorque controller:
- Electroproject Ztorque controller is a standalone controller that can be used on all electrical TD’s.
The implementation is less intrusive than other solutions as the controller is not programmed in the VFD but in an external IPC.
- In a regular Ztorque implementation the controller is programmed in the VFD during commissioning. Impact of the implementation on existing equipment before commissioning is hardly possible. Electroproject implementation is different. Electroproject Ztorque is configured and tested before implementation and therefore it has a low risk profile.
- Implementation at the rig is faster as the Ztorque controller has been pre tested. In our experience less issues need to be solved at the rig improving the commissioning time.
- Electroproject Ztorque Assistant software predicts the behaviour of the Ztorque controller in advance. To be able to show possible roadblocks or predict the influence of torque availability and drill string configuration ensures effective mitigation performance.
- Electroproject Ztorque is not a black box. The state of the art data logger delivers high fidelity data with 200 Hz resolution. This data together with analytic tools like Electroproject Ztorque shows in detail the drill string behaviour under Ztorque control being of great value researching occurred events and documenting performance.
Electroproject Ztorque 100% implementation success
Electroproject already has delivered tens of Ztorque systems for major brands TD and VFD’s all with a Shell certification. All successfully implemented.
Local support is important for us. That’s why we work with a global network of sales en service partners.